Monday, August 17, 2009

Sick

I don't know how it happened, but it started on the first day of heats with a typical cold/sore throat. I tried to convince myself that it was all just in my head, but after a few hours I decided it would be better to acknowledge that I might not be feeling 100% and Attack. I learned all about Attack Sick Mode from the ski team in high school. All that time spent breathing in cold air made for plenty of colds and cases of bronchitis, and we developed quirky ways of fighting it off. My tried-and-true stand-bys included fresh garlic, emergen-c, preemptive zinc lozenges and zinc throat spray, a quarter cup apple cider vinegar mixed with a cup of water (that one took serious motivation), and hot orange juice.

Anyway, I started to feel better later in the weekend, although by that time most of the rest of the team was feeling sick as well. (Not my fault... Morgan and Timmy had it first!!) I guess my body knows it is the end of the season and it can finally break down. I have been pushing my body hard all season with no big rest periods. So now I am going to give it all the rest and recovery it needs! And maybe some hot orange juice and garlic, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the words "apple cider vinegar" just doesnt sound right. I heard that mononucleosis is also from over-training. Some kayakers I know get that during intense training cycles. With all the workouts you guys do I hope u all put back in sufficient calories - positive kcal balance - imho, that is the best prevention to sickness - nutritional periodization - train hard, eat more, train light, eat less - calorie in calorie out extended glycogen depletion -> muscle catabolism ;)