Friday, December 31, 2010

Tough Break

I was supposed to join the slalom kayak team for their XC ski training camp in Lake Placid this week. I woke up Tuesday morning with a sore throat, but ignored it. I lifted weights, packed my truck full of skis, and made a playlist for the 5-hour drive. I made it about 30 minutes from home before I realized I was really sick and I wasn't going to make it.

So I sadly turned around and drove home, got into bed, and slept for 18 hours straight. The past few days I've been alternating between sleeping, reading, eating soup, and taking dayquil/nyquil. I'm finally starting to feel better but not in time to make the drive to training camp. Super bummer. The moral of the story is I that I did not sleep or recover nearly enough during the end-of-the-semester craziness this year. Staying up til 2am writing papers and getting up at 5:30 to work out does not mesh well with my need for 10.5 hours of shut-eye per 24 hours. That's why I'm putting Get Even More Sleep second on my list of Themes for 2011.

At any rate, I'm currently typing at my desk bundled in warm blankets even though it's a balmy 40 degrees outside and the snow is disappearing. To quell my desire to work out and be healthy, I'm watching crossfit videos.

"I don't want any training to be easy... I want it to hurt really, really really bad. I want to start too fast and just try to always maintain that speed until I break totally down. I want to push myself just.... so hard. I really want it. I really do. Every time that I do training, I am telling myself, 'you know that the other girl won't stop.' so I am pushing and pushing." -Camille Leblanc-Bazinet

No comments: