Sunday, January 23, 2011

Snowshoe Race

I raced in the Lake Effect Winter Trail Festival today: a 4-mile snowshoe race (I skipped the half-marathon option). Snowshoe racing is not for the faint of heart. If you haven't tried it, think about wearing weighted shoes 4 times bigger than normal, and running in soft, dry sand. Add 7 degree temperature and 15 mph winds and you've got yourself Sunday's race!

However, I am not complaining. I like epic conditions! Plus, I was toasty warm once we got going. The race kicked my butt for sure, and I always appreciate a good butt-kicking. At the start line when the gun goes off, everyone was engulfed in a white cloud from all the kickup from the hundreds of snowshoers running together. It was a riot.

Even though I donned my subzero parka as soon as I crossed the finish line, by the time I got to my truck my hands inside my gloves were frozen and numb like wooden sticks. I was able to get the door handle open using two hands, but I had to wait 5 minutes before my wooden hands had warmed up enough to turn the key in the ignition.
I may look warm... but I am NOT WARM.

No comments: