Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Jambalaya recipe

So dig this: I planned to make jambalaya this week, before I even knew that yesterday was Mardi Gras! How inadvertently festive of me! I based my recipe off of this recipe. But my version is way better. I zoned it out with the intention of blogging it for my Crossfit Rochester friends; the full recipe makes a 12P/6C/12F pot of deliciousness. I split it up into three tupperwares of 4P/2C/4F meals.



1.3 links Andouille sausage (I got mine from Trader Joe's. 1.3 links happened to equal 4 blocks protein)
6oz. shrimp (I started with about 9oz raw, so it would cook down to 6oz)
4 oz. chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (again, I started out with about 6oz. raw)
2/3c onion
2c chopped bell pepper (I used red and green)
14.5oz can diced tomatoes
4c riced cauliflower
4 cloves garlic
1.5c chicken broth
1T +1t olive oil
1t thyme
1.5T parsely
2t chili powder

Put the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken. When it's almost done, add the peppers, garlic, and onion and sautee until the onion becomes translucent. Then, dump everything into a large pot along with the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Simmer for about 20 minutes while you rice your cauliflower in the blender. (I bought 2 small-ish heads to make the 4 cups of "rice", and I had some left over.) Add the cauliflower to the pot and keep simmering while you cook the shrimp in 1t olive oil. When they're done, dump 'em in the pot. Add more spices as you see fit. When the cauliflower is cooked enough, it's done!!

*the original recipe called for less spices and less garlic, but I thought it needed more. At the end, I was practically dumping chili powder into the pot to make it more spicy. Finally, I found some "cajun barbeque seasoning" in the cabinet and used a liberal amount. That was key. The final result was so delicious.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Erin DiVincenzo said...

Thanks Emily! Sounds delish. I thought maybe you were able to sneak some rice in there - but no go, eh? Anyway, I will try it this weekend. Hope Sunny CA is treating you well!
-Erin