Wednesday, June 2, 2010

70-miler update

The 70-miler weekend was a success! Jon finished 3rd in the pro c1 race in 8 hours and 53 minutes. You can get results here and read about the other Forge members' races here .


I put together this video of the clips I shot during the race... and below are some photos of the weekend


It was Holly's 30th birthday this weekend, so we celebrated by curling her hair.


Two days before the race, we traditionally run 6 miles of the river from the start in Cooperstown to Index. When we did it, the water was so shallow we had to get out and run the boats at least 4 or 5 times, and we were hitting rocks and logs all over the place. Jon told me there was a log jam up ahead and I got confused for a moment because I was picturing this.


On Sunday (the day before the 70) they hold 12 and 18 mile "sprint" races. Dylan won the c1 men's 18 miler. Here I am in Unadilla cheering him on.


This is Otsego Lake, where the 70-miler starts, at 6:10 in the morning. Jon's race went off at 6:30.


Here's a photo of the first pit at Milford, about 2 hours into the race. I basically followed Jon down the river and saw him at about 10 or 12 different places. Most racers take 3 pits, during which their pit crews wade out into the current and quickly replace their jugs of liquid and give them food as they paddle by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Log Jam"! - ya gotta love the pic - says it all! Nice photos! I'm not too sure about the facial expression on the hair do - it would make me worry haha
Lovely lake - great post!
Oh and congrats to jon! Paddling 70 miles in itself deserves an award but to finish third is quite a feat!