Sunday, May 10, 2009

World Cup, Day 3

The 5k today brought me back to my marathon days. 24 boats lined up on a tiny dock... paddle hitting the girl's next to you... everyone false starts.. it was an incredible washing-machine mess of boats and paddles and lots of waves. I started well, but quickly got jostled around. After a buoy turn at the 750, there were just four 500m loops on the 250m course left. It certainly wasn't the MOST fun I've ever had in a kayak.... but close.

Just kidding. It was a painful race. But when Mags and I finished (no clue what our places were) we got to watch the boys 5k (featuring Morgan House and Pat Dolan). It was incredibly exciting. From the stands, you can see all of the action. Every buoy turn, every move.... guys bonking and breaking rudders and smashing paddles and giving up and bridging gaps and wash riding in packs.. it was great fun to watch... after I'd already completed it, of course.

Tomorrow, we will do some light training and then take a train to Prague for some sightseeing. I've wanted to go there for years, so I'm really looking forward to it. Pictures will be added whenever the internet is fast enough to upload them. Cheers!

No comments: