Saturday, October 2, 2010

Soups and pies and apples, oh my!

Perhaps it was the chill in the air, the thermometer reading of 40 degrees, or the fact that I could see my breath while walking to get the newspaper. But as soon as I finished the morning's training session, I was suddenly propelled by a strange primal urge to stock up the cellar for the long winter ahead... butcher the hog, hang dried herbs from the ceiling, and make vast quantities of apple and cinnamon-containing baked goods.

And my more 21st- century self wanted to make a bunch of food to freeze so I can 'nuke at night when I get home from workouts.

Problem solved. I made Margot Mickle's famous taco soup, cream cheese chicken, my grandmother's delicious apple coffee cake, a few apple pies [to further my practice at world pie-making domination], and applesauce. I did manage to make a dent in the 41 pounds of last weekend's apple orchard fun.



PS fair warning: my excessive autumnal joy is only going to grow with each passing day!

No comments: